Come and join us for a great sport at Abbotsford!
Abbotsford welcomes sailors from all ages and we have different support programs and classes in place.
Sailors participating in a class are encouraged to also join the relevant class association. Abbotsford sailors are regular participants in zone, state, national and even international regattas. The club also regularly hosts inter-club regattas for various classes. See the calendar page for details of upcoming events.
The club has limited storage facilities for boats in the clubhouse. See the membership details page for more information.Learn to Sail
The club can offer learn to sail courses for children as well as other programs designed to develop the skills needed to participate in the afternoon races. See the learn to sail for more details.
After the children learn to sail they then need a boat. To make this easier the club has six sabots that can be leased on a weekly or yearly basis for use in cadet races or the afternoon race. The club also owns two Puffin Pacers which are used for learn to sail and can sometimes be leased by club members. The club encourages parents to purchase a boat after one season so as to maximize the availability of the club boats for training.Safety
The club requires all members to ensure their own safety as well as the safety of others while at the club. This include
- The use of PFDs. The club has a collection of PFDs for use by members (although most members use their own PFD)
- Provision of manned safety boats during training and races.
- Sign-on/sign-off procedures for races
- Adherence to the Child Protection Act with regard to the safety of children and young adults while at the club.
Without the help of parents and friends the club could not operate. Your help is needed to:
- Help in the club canteen at lunchtime
- Open up in the morning and pack away tables etc after racing has finished.
- Man the rescue boats as well as lay and collect the course marks.
- Help with the cleaning and general maintenance of the club
- Help with maintenance of the clubhouse during working bees etc.